Back on Monday I mentioned going to the farmers market and picking up some lovely berries for jam making. I also promised to post the super easy recipe for Strawberry Raspberry Vanilla Quick Jam. It ended up being a cross between a thick jam and a berry syrup, and the lemon juice made it perfectly tart. It was just perfect for drizzling over pound cake for desert. Seeing as how this is the first jam I’ve ever made, I’m officially hooked. I may never buy store bought jam again.
And now on with the show….
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 pound fresh raspberries
vanilla bean scraped of its seeds, pod reserved (I used a teaspoon of vanilla extract because I just couldn’t find real vanilla beans)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon
- Hull the strawberries
- Place strawberries, raspberries, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until fruit breaks down and liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat, and place in jars. Mine ended up making about three small canning jars full of jam.
- Place in refrigerator to cool.
Per the original recipe from Joy The Baker (I just love her blog), this lasts up to 10 days covered and sealed in the fridge.