Mom used to make this for us as kids. It’s my favorite mac & cheese recipe. I’ll warn you though, it doesn’t do anything fancy like use five different artisan cheeses, and it doesn’t have ground up bread crumbs on top or anything like that. Actually, it uses Velveeta, so one could argue that it really doesn’t use real cheese at all, lol.
Doesn’t it look yummy though??? It’s super easy too!
Here’s the recipe.
16oz elbow macaroni (one box)
half an onion, finely diced (this, in my opinion, makes the entire dish. So, unless you hate onions, don’t leave them out.)
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp flour
2 cups of milk
3 cups cubed Velveeta cheese (about 3/4 of a large package)
1-2 cups of cubed precooked ham
- Heat oven to 375
- Cook macaroni as directed
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in milk. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add the cubed Velveeta. Cook over low heat until smooth.
- Mix pasta with cubed ham and diced onion.
- pour cheese mixture over noodle mixture and combine.
- pour into a 2qt casserole dish
- cover and bake 30 min
- uncover and bake 15 min longer (so the cheese gets a little brown on top)